FREE ATV SAFETY TRAINING
ATV Safety Institute Providing Free ATV Safety Training During ATV Safety Week Set for June 8 through 15
IRVINE, Calif., May 1, 2014 – This summer, for one week (June 8-15), the ATV Safety Institute will be launching ATV Safety Week throughout the country. ASI is working with partners all across the country who have volunteered to provide free ATV RiderCourse training and other ATV safety education opportunities.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, 92 percent of all ATV-related fatalities are the result of warned-against behaviors, such as youth riding on adult-sized ATVs. Take some time during ATV Safety Week and learn about the proper operation of your machine, find out about helmets and other proper protective gear, and learn ways to dramatically reduce risk for you, your family and friends.
The ATV RiderCourse is free for anyone who signs up during ATV Safety Week. Free training will be available at the following locations:
Tucson, AZ: Pima Motorsports Park
Colton, CA: Honda Powersports Colton Rider Ed Center
Irvine, CA: Kawasaki Jeronimo Campus
Alpharetta, GA: American Honda Rider Education Center
McCall, ID: Mile High Motor Sports
Grand Rivers, KY: TBD
Harrodsburg, KY: TBD
Sykesville, MD: ATV Rider Training Center
Laurel, MT: TBD
Troy, OH: Honda Rider Education Center
Redmond, OR: Deschutes County Fairground
College Station, TX: Texas 4-H Round-Up
Arlington, WA: TBD
Additional locations will be added as they are confirmed. To see the most current list, please visit here. To sign up for a class, please call 800-887-2887.
The ATV RiderCourse is also free year-round for anyone who has purchased a new, qualifying ATV from an ATV Safety Institute member company. The ASI offers easy enrollment at 800-887-2887, or visit atvsafety.org.
ASI also offers a free E-Course, available online 24/7. This online course is available in three age-specific courses for adults, teens and children. Students learn how to apply the “golden rules” of ATV riding in an interactive setting. The E-Course includes videos, pictures, and interactive games to make it a fun and effective learning experience for all ages. After taking the course, users can take an ATV safety exam and receive a certificate of completion.
The ATV Safety Institute’s Golden Rules:
1. Always wear a DOT-compliant helmet, goggles, long sleeves, long pants, over-the-ankle boots, and gloves.
2. Never ride on paved roads except to cross when done safely and permitted by law – another vehicle could hit you. ATVs are designed to be operated off-highway.
3. Never ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
4. Never carry a passenger on a single-rider ATV, and no more than one passenger on an ATV specifically designed for two people.
5. Ride an ATV that’s right for your age.
6. Supervise riders younger than 16; ATVs are not toys.
7. Ride only on designated trails and at a safe speed.
8. Take a hands-on ATV RiderCourse and the free online E-Course. Visit ATVsafety.org or call 800.887.2887.
The All-Terrain Vehicle Safety Institute (ASI), a not-for-profit division of the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America (SVIA), was formed in 1988 to implement an expanded national program of all-terrain vehicle (ATV) safety education and awareness. The ASI is sponsored by Arctic Cat, BRP, Honda, Kawasaki, KYMCO USA, Polaris, Suzuki, and Yamaha.