More and more these days, we are receiving letters from readers who are having their quads stolen. This sad situation bothers us. While there is no way to keep your eyes on your precious ATV’s one hundred percent of the time, you can keep them protected. Just like having a policy on your pickup or family station wagon, you can get insurance for your stable of ATV’s as well. Not only can you get theft, fire and medical coverage, the proper policy can protect you and your family from costly lawsuits. With help from Progressive Insurance, we have some of the answers you may be looking for when considering insuring your ATV. Plus they, along with our local California Farmers Insurance agent, have given us a few examples of what a typical policy would cost you.

Comprehensive coverage generally covers theft of an ATV and would provide a settlement in the amount of the Actual Cash Value (ACV) of the vehicle, less the deductible amount chosen when the policy was bought. The ACV is determined by a variety of methods including industry values as well as market values.
Comprehensive coverage also covers other damage such as fire or vandalism as well as weather-related damage (e.g. hail, flood) and damage caused if your vehicle collides with an animal. Comprehensive for ATVs may be purchased without Collision (on most auto policies, you must buy both). If you buy Comprehensive, you’ll be asked to select a deductible amount. A higher deductible can help keep down the cost of the coverage, but remember that the deductible amount is the amount you’ll need to pay in the event of a loss. Select an amount that you can afford.
Keep in mind, no two theft claims are identical; the more information you have, including receipts, current photographs, etc., the better when filing a claim.
Most companies offer insurance that will cover a rider’s injuries. It’s generally called Medical Payments coverage and, in some states, you can buy Personal Injury Protection (PIP).  These coverages generally cover the cost of reasonable and necessary medical care provided to you as a result of an ATV accident, and applies no matter who is at fault. The coverage is often limited to medical care you get in a specified time, typically three years. It is limited to the amount you chose when you purchase the policy. Most insurance companies do not sell polices for individuals involved in racing. There are companies such as K&K Insurance, (260) 459-5704, that will write polices for race teams or promoters.
Generally speaking, liability, which is Bodily Injury (BI) and Property Damage (PD), covers your legal liability, up to the limit you select, for an accident in which there is damage or injury to someone else. BI/PD does not cover your injuries if you are the rider of the vehicle or damage to your vehicle.  Under BI/PD, the insurance company generally pays for the cost to replace or repair damaged property and the medical bills incurred by an injured person and other damages you are legally obligated to pay as a result of an accident. If the insurance company pays for an accident for which you are sued, they generally will pay for a lawyer to defend you. BI/PD also generally covers someone riding your ATV with your permission and it generally covers you if you are riding someone else’s ATV with their permission. Bodily Injury and Property Damage liability limits generally appear like this in insurance policy documents: 100/300/100. Using this example, this means that the limits of liability selected are $100,000 for bodily injury per person involved in the accident, $300,000 for bodily injury per accident (the maximum that would be paid out under this coverage on a claim) and $100,000 for property damage liability. These are sometimes called “split limits” because the amounts are “split” per person and per accident.
 There are generally “Exclusions” to insurance coverages—these outline the circumstances under which no coverage would be extended. It is very important that ATV riders understand which insurance companies have what exclusions. Most insurance companies, including Progressive, will not cover damages resulting from any pre-arranged or organized racing, stunting, speed or demolition contest or activity. For these “specialty” coverages, ATV riders should seek out companies that cover racing activity.
Year/ Make/Model/Add-on Value/Company/State/Yearly premium

2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 4X4 $0 Progressive CA $430
2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 4X4 $0 Progressive VA $344
2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 4X4 $0 Progressive MN $176
2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 4X4 $0 Farmer CA $286
2006 Honda TRX450R $5000 Progressive CA $828
2006 Honda TRX450R $0 Progressive VA $582
2006 Honda TRX450R $5000 Progressive MN $426
2006 Honda TRX450R $5000 Farmers CA $455
2006 Yamaha Rhino 660 $10,000 Progressive CA $1142
2006 Yamaha Rhino 660 $0 Progressive VA $474
2006 Yamaha Rhino 660 $10,000 Progressive MN $574
2006 Yamaha Rhino 660 $10,000 Farmers CA $539
2005 BRP DS650 $0 Progressive CA $640
2005 BRP DS650 $0 Progressive VA $546
2005 BRP DS650 $0 Progressive MN $282
2005 BRP DS650 $0 Farmers CA… $258

These figures are examples of full coverage premiums for a 35-year married rider with a clean driving record. Your cost will vary based on location, age and driving record. Contact Progressive, Farmers (in California) or your local agent for exact prices. Progressive: (800) progressive   Farmer’s in CA: (661) 949-0421

Comments are closed.